It all began on February 18th 1910 with a meeting called by John (Jack) Benn and
held at Southwick Town Hall. The meeting was also attended by Frederick Faulkner
Flinn, Richard Nugent, George Gillam, Herbert and Arthur Tebbs, George Richardson
(publican of the Schooner Inn), Joseph Potts, Frederick Yolland, William Gooding,
Alfred Catt and Messrs Stacy and Frances. All were Southwick residents and businessmen
and Messrs Flinn, Gillam and Catt were also Southwick Urban District councillors.
It was agreed that a bowling club (men only!) should be formed and subsequently an
agreement was reached with the Rock Brewery of St James’s Street Brighton (which
owned suitable land adjoining the Cricketers Inn, at Southwick Green). The brewery
would provide a bowling green (at a cost of not less than £50) and the bowling club
would maintain the green and pay a rent of £10 per year for a period of 7 years
with an option to extend to 14 years.
Moved to the Recreation Ground on 4 rinks provided by Adur District Council on land
inherited from American millionaire, Mr Walter Winans.
Green enlarged to 6 rinks.
Club celebrated its Golden Jubilee with match against the English Bowling Association.
Southwick Ladies Bowling Club formed.
New pavilion opened funded partly by grants from the National Lottery.
Amalgamation of Ladies and Men's clubs under Southwick Bowling Club.